backtotop

Pottawatomie Hills

Welcome to Camp Pottawatomie Hills

pottawatomie hillsThis property was a gift to the Girl Scout Council of Kenosha County from Mrs. Gertrude Alford. A $10,000 donation from Mrs. Nash built Wendat dining hall. Other friends of Girl Scouting gave money to build cabins and our camp was dedicated on June 15, 1930. It has been in continuous operation since that time.

Conveniently located near East Troy, Wisconsin, we are just a few minutes off US 12, one hour from Milwaukee, and 90 minutes from Chicago. The camp consists of 120 acres of prairie, hardwoods, and pine plantation, with frontage on Pleasant Lake. Facilities are available for use from September 1 through June 1. During June and July the residential camp program welcomes girls from 7 to 17 for activities such as boating, sailing, horseback riding, nature study, and more.

gs pottawatomieThe first building you will see as you enter camp is Leah Seybold lodge. Named for the first executive director of the council, the lodge is used year-round for troop camping, meetings, retreats, and council functions. The lodge is divided into two units: The Alford side sleeps 30 in bunk beds, and the Lance side sleeps 20. Each side has a large fireplace and a fully-equipped kitchen as well as bathroom and shower facilities.

Near Seybold lodge is Kabob, which serves as a nature study area in the summer and as the ski hut in the winter. Nordic skis are available for rent to groups staying at the camp.

 

Rustic cabins perch on the hillside of the Highlands unit. There are six cabins, which each sleep six. The unit is served by a centrally located washhouse. The Puks unit includes two small cabins, and cabin 9 which is larger and has a fireplace.

 

Each of our units has a kitchen shelter with tables and a fireplace with grate for cooking. Dutch ovens and other cookware are available.

We have three tent units, each with eight platform tents. There are four cots per tent. Two of the tent units use the modern ‘brown house’ (toilets and sinks) located between them. The nearby shower house serves the entire camp. The third unit, the Buccs, has pit toilets and a hand pump.

High atop Pi Hill is the tepee unit. Four platform tepees are available for overnight stays.

 

Rancho is one of our oldest cabins. It has a fireplace and its own kitchen shelter. Rancho is available for winter camping, for the brave only! Located on the primitive side of the camp, Rancho shares an outhouse with the Buccs unit.

 

Wendat dining hall, built in 1930, provides a gathering place for campers. The stage and large, double fireplace are focal points for camp activities. The dining porch seats 160 and there is a fully equipped commercial kitchen.

 

Camp Pottawatomie Hills is encircled by hiking trails, which are also used for cross-country skiing in the winter. The Makisin Trail winds around the western half of the property. There is a guidebook to the trail; markers denote points of interest and tell about local flora and fauna.

The Waterfront provides a cool place to relax on hot summer days. We have a floating dock, canoes, sailboats, and an enclosed swim area.

 

For information on using Camp Pottawatomie Hills for your group, or for information on our residential camp program, contact:  gscout@kenoshagirlscouts.org