1912 Girl Scouting was introduced in the United States by Juliette Gordon Low.
1917 Mary D. Bradford, then Superintendent of Kenosha Schools, was attending an educators meeting in New York. She was so impressed by the Girl Scout Movement she began Girl Scout troops in Kenosha.
1921 The first camping event was held at Lily Lake.
1922 The application for a National Charter was approved. Mrs. G. F. Loomis was elected our first Girl Scout President. Our National Charter was signed by many people including: Juliette Gordon Low, Founder of Girl Scouts; our National Girl Scout President and later 1st Lady Lou Hoover; Edith Macy of Macy Department Stores; Helen A. Storrow, an American who donated Our Chalet in Switzerland; and Jane Dieter Rippon, National Girl Scout Director. Locally, Catherine Novak, a teacher at Bain School; Mrs. Tom Barden and Mrs. Richards signed our charter.
1923 Barden Store carried fabrics and patterns for Girl Scout uniforms. Resident camp moved to Lake Bohner for a summer rental of $200.
1924 A station wagon was purchased to transport girls to and from camp.
1925 A windshield wiper was purchased for the station wagon as a safety measure!
1927 Membership dues was $ .25 per year.
1928 Leah Seybold became the Executive Director.
1930 Camp Pottawatomie Hills was purchased by Mrs. Gertrude Alford, who donated it to the Girl Scout Council of Kenosha County. Mrs. Nash donated money to build Wendat Lodge at Camp Pottawatomie Hills.
1935 A Mariner Program for older girls was started. Betty Schmelling (Mrs. George Becker) was the first Mariner Leader in Kenosha.
1936 A Girl Scout Mariner troop was formed. Girls were under the leadership of Skipper Betty Schmelling and Helen Wilson.
1938 A former portable school building was donated to the Girl Scouts to use as a day camp site. We called it “The Little House.” It occupied the site where Southport School now stands. The Brownie program began.
1946 Dunnebacke Woods was donated to the Girl Scout Council of Kenosha County by Gertrude Alford. Camp Gertrude Alford, a 9-½ acre site on the north side of Kenosha, was used for day camping and troop activities. Troop registration was late because of the delay in the school opening due to a polio epidemic.
1948 The Girl Scout Council of Kenosha County held its first cookie sale. 13,400 boxes were sold with $ 1,650 in profits.
1949 The Adult Awards Banquet (previously called Community Dinner) speaker was Dr. Lillian Galbraith, the author of “Cheaper by the Dozen.”
1952 The “Little House” was moved to Camp Gertrude Alford. Council offices were temporarily at the KYF.
1953 Leah Seybold, “Si”, celebrated 25 years as the Executive Director of the Girl Scout Council of Kenosha County.
1956 The Well’s House at 6430-7th Avenue was purchased. Money was donated for the expressed purpose to serve as a Girl Scout office meeting place.
1961 “Woodhaven” was built using cookie money. Wood Haven was two words in the beginning. Leah Seybold was selected as the Woman of the Year. Early ‘60s neighborhoods had both names and numbers such as Country Cousins, Trail Blazers, and Northern Lights.
1962 The board voted to offer three different types of cookies instead of the usual two.
1965 Leah Seybold retired and Helen Pedley Brey was selected as the new Executive Director.
1968 One of the Council’s Senior troops had a mounted patrol. On a field trip, they visited the Temple Farms Lipizzan Horse Stables in Wadsworth, Illinois.
1972 Girl Scouting in Kenosha celebrated the 50th Anniversary of its National Charter.
1974 The first addition of the Trefoil Topics, our newsletter which was formerly called Council Memos, was sent to the printer.
1976 The Nation’s Bicentennial was celebrated by creating a quilt, 18 feet by 51 feet. It did not make the Guinness Book of World Records, though over 100 patches were submitted by troops. Carmella Huser was hired as the Executive Director.
1977 The Office was dedicated at “Woodhaven.” 100,000 homemade Christmas cookies were given as gifts to service men and women and veterans who spent the holidays at North Chicago Veterans Center and Great Lakes Naval Hospital.
1980 The 50th Anniversary of Camp Pottawatomie was celebrated.
1982 Sandy McKay earned the first Gold Award.
1983 Friends of Pottawatomie held a pig roast. Shower and bathroom facilities were added to Camp Pottawatomie Hills.
1985 Deborah Dunlap Ruffolo chaired the last 1st Annual Giving Luncheon.
1987 The first Honor Pins were given to Mary Rusch, Sandy Hodal, and Thelma Johnson.
1989 The Main Dining room was dedicated as Konrad Hall in honor of Leo and Evelyn Konrad, long-time caretakers of our resident camp. A portrait of Mrs. Gilbert Lance (Carlotta) was presented to the Council by friends of Pottawatomie Hills.
1992 Renovation of Camp Pottawatomie Hills included a garage for the ranger and a bunk house in Seybold.
1994 Over 160,000 boxes of Girl Scout cookies were sold.
1995 We celebrated the dedication of the Range Unit at Camp Pottawatomie Hills. Renovation included teepees and a new kitchen unit made possible by a donation from the Bullamore family.
1996 Boxes and boxes of Girl Scout cookies were sent to our armed forces serving in Bosnia.
1997 The 75th anniversary of our National Charter was celebrated.
2000- 2001 Woodhaven was renovated and expanded.
2001 Woodhaven Dedication Celebration was held and part of 37th Avenue was subnamed Girl Scout Lane.
2002 Approximately 200,000 boxes of Girl Scout cookies were sold.